Thursday, October 18, 2012

So Many Books, So Little Time!

     The other day, I friend showed me a website called Goodreads where people enter in books they've read, rank them and receive recommendations for future books they might enjoy. In addition, you can compare the books you have read or want to read with those of your friends. I've just begun, so I am sure there's many more things the site allows bibliophiles to do too!

     Poking around the site and the recommendations it generated brought up a feeling of anxiety I often get when I deal with books or movies or any other subject of which there seems to be an endless supply. I like to think I am a pretty voracious reader, perhaps fitting in a good 15-20 books per year. But even if I assume I could maintain that high pace for another 60 or so years, I always come to the conclusion that I could never read every book I would like to read that already exists, let alone any the of millions of books that will be published in the next six decades. The feeling is enough to leave me temporarily despondent and a victim of reading-paralysis--how do I know where to begin to accomplish this seemingly insurmountable task!? But begin we must, if we are to get anything out of the great gift to humanity that is our capacity to create great works of literature.

      I think the same anxiety holds a lot of would-be Christians back from beginning their faith journey. The mysteries of God, unlike books, are actually infinite and cannot be fully discerned in our earthly lives. For many, that is reason enough to neglect God and focus on more tangible, completable tasks-- after all, life is often hard enough as it is, without worrying about whether we are doing enough to prepare ourselves for another one which is to come afterwards.

      But not to begin the journey of faith because the journey is so long is to sacrifice the tremendous gift that is to know even the tiniest morsel of God's mercy, grace and absolute goodness. It is as irrational as saying we are not going to read any books because we cannot read all books. Nor is it advisable to begin a faith journey predisposed to the idea that God does not exist because His ways are unknown to us. That is tantamount to saying that we because we do not understand what a book is about from the cover, and so we are going to read it with the idea that it's message is going to be impenetrable to us. More often than not, these sorts of things become self-fulfilling prophecies. God does not ask complete trust from the onset, although that would be ideal. The Lord simply wants those who come to Him to arrive with an open mind and heart: space in which he can enter in and refresh and revive your very soul.

     In this way, the journey towards faith in God is never one we take alone. Just like we might read a particularly challenging book with the help of a guide, God provides us assistance in what is the greatest challenge in every human life: coming to believe that we were created for a purpose, and that purpose is to become one with our Creator. In a word, God becomes our companion. The word "companion" is derived from Latin words meaning "come together" and "bread." Thus, a companion is one who breaks bread with us. Is this not a perfect description of the Christian God? Not only does God walk our journey with us, helping us to grow in faith, hope and love, He also becomes the Bread of Life in the Catholic Church's Eucharist. The Eucharist provides food for the journey, fulfilling what Jesus said: lo, I am with you always, to the close of the age. (Mt 28:20)

     I like to read because I feel it makes me a better person: more knowledgable, more empathetic, more grateful. So it is also with my faith journey. Both literature and God are inexhaustible wells of insights and lessons, emotions and development. Yet with God we have the assurance that, if we genuinely strive to do grow in the teachings of the Lord and His Church, all shall be fully revealed in the next life: we will have a personal Q&A with the Author of Life that lasts for all eternity.

No comments:

Post a Comment