Thursday, July 19, 2012

Shaking Off Dust

     Sometimes summer can feel busier, or at least more tiring, than the school year. Perhaps it's because I get up at 6:30 for work every weekday morning, or that I hang out with my friends almost every night until 11 or 12, but often I get to the end of the day and feel thankful just to let my head hit the pillow. One of the unfortunate consequences of this has been my negligence in regularly updating this blog. The posts that appear on here require time to be proofread and perfected, and I am unwilling to post less quality just for the sake of posting something. 

       A few days ago, however, my best friend inadvertently gave me a good wakeup call as to how important it is to stay strong in my faith and practice of it, especially in the seemingly serene summer months.  He was about to give me a ride home when, just as I was about to open the door, he drove the car away, leaving me in an empty parking lot for several minutes before returning!

      The joke didn't really bother me (I may have done the same once or twice), but the more I thought about it, the more I saw what a good parable it is to how we become when we come to rely on things or people other than God for our needs. I've learned from experience that, at any moment, a person's family, friends or possessions can vanish like vapor, speeding off like my friend's car. If we put our trust in them over God, then we will be left feeling alone, like an individual stranded in the parking lot of an unloving world.

     That is not to say we should necessarily shun possessions or people. God provides us with people who have the potential to make us better and bring us great joy. He grants possessions that allow us to make our lives and the lives of those around us more fulfilling. But we should be careful not to come to rely on any one person or any one thing. Even too much of a good thing can be used by the devil to steer our attention away from the Lord. 

     So with about month left in the summer, I personally feel I have underperformed spiritually this summer, through my own fault and negligence. Ironically, I've had great fun and have accomplished a lot of things that most people would say have been worthwhile. Yet when I look the stack of spiritual reading that has been untouched, the time for prayer that I have missed from being too exhausted, and I see that the devil has won a few rounds lately. I'm thankful that God woke me up from my complacency to spark a renewal of sorts. In the month I have remaining, I intend to be committed to putting myself back into a complete relationship with God, even if that means sacrificing some time with friends or relaxing. The reward will be well worth the effort!

No comments:

Post a Comment