Sunday, September 2, 2012

A Hike Through the Rain Forest

     Today, I accompanied a few of my new friends on a 5 mile hike through a Costa Rica rain forest. Part of Costa Rica's beauty is that so much of it is protected in the form of natural parks and such. For example, this virtually untouched rain forest is only a forty minute bus ride from downtown San José!

     We hiked two separate trails and also had time to check out a small waterfall. The dense foliage does a great job at camouflaging much of the wildlife in the forest, but I was able to catch glimpses of a few birds, a couple lizards, and the largest, fuzziest tarantula I've ever seen! And ants...oh the ants!!! Without exaggeration, there were millions of them. Many were leaf-cutters, a species of ants who carry pieces of leaves weighing several times their body weight long distances.

     When I paused for a rest near the waterfall and gazed around, I couldn't help but think of the hymn "How Great Thou":
   
     When through the woods and forest glades I wander 
     And hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;
     When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur
     And hear the brook and feel the gentle breeze:
     Then sings my soul, my Saviour God, to Thee;
     How great Thou art, how great Thou art!

     I don't think I will ever understand how anyone can see the majesty of nature, the way in which animals and plants perfectly operate in peaceful placidity, and deny there is a Supreme Being who created it all. As Job said, But ask the animals, and they will teach you; the birds of the air, and they will tell you; or the plants of the earth, and they will teach you; and the fish of the sea will declare it to you. Who among all of these does not know that the hand of the Lord has done this? In His hand is the life of every living thing and the breath of all mankind. (Job 12:7-10)


     There is much that nature can reveal to us about God that we fail to see in our hectic, self-constructed lives of routines and appointments, deadlines and distractions. Perhaps most of all, nature affords us an opportunity for silence. There's a maxim that instructs one to make time for quiet moments- God whispers and the world is loud. How true! But we need not go into a forest to find quiet, although to do so periodically does great good; we need only to commit ourselves to a few minutes of quiet mediation each day. If everyone could but spend 10 minutes each day in reflection, how much less anger and anxiety would there be in those who currently let such feelings fill up their hearts and their minds until they leave no room to let in the Lord.

     Costa Rica has meant so much for my peace of mind and focus so far in these first two weeks. Being in a place where I literally knew nobody has helped me to shift my focus from my friends and family back home towards the One who goes before me and walks beside me wherever I go. The Lord has provided me with a supportive home-stay, and the chance to make friendships with many people who amaze me with their intellect and their goodness. Many of them also write blogs about their trips, and many of their blogs are much better than my own!

      The people on this trip come from numerous backgrounds, but the one common thread between us all seems to be our desire to make life a little more manageable and fulfillment more possible for those who are not as fortunate as ourselves. There is so much for me to learn from so many during my four months here, and I hope others can learn a bit from myself as well. I am a firm believer that God puts people in certain places for a reason. At this time last year, I had no interest or even any knowledge of this program in Costa Rica- yet here I am, and I couldn't picture myself anywhere else right now!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment