Wednesday, September 19, 2012

On Struggles

     This we has been a pretty difficult week for me, as I have heard from a lot of friends and people whom I love who are struggling through a variety of different problems in their own lives.  One is stressed out about his first test of the semester; another is finding it tough to acclimate to life here in Costa Rica. A third has changed her major in hopes of finding something more meaningful, but still feels unfulfilled and a fourth has grown tired of the university he attends but feels too far into his studies there to transfer. A few others are going through intense personal struggles such as a boyfriend of over a year dumping her over the phone, and a best friend dying unexpectedly. Then there's people I care about who seem to be always up against it, perpetually getting to the top of the mountain only to have the boulder of their burdens knock them back down to the base. I pray for all these poor souls each night before I go to bed and I trust that God has a purpose for the pain they suffer, but my inability to help much is tough to stomach. I wish that I could carry some of these troubles and let my beloved friends and family have a day or even a few moments to at least gather up their strength.

     It was with this heavy heart that I was reading the Bible today between classes. In the Gospel of Saint Luke, the Evangelist writes on a couple different occasions that Mary "ponders" or "keeps" thoughts and pains "in her heart." Mary had a life that was full of moments of intense sadness and sorrow, most of all for her beloved Son. Yet never once did her faith in God's plan or willingness to be a "faithful "handmaid" waver. She stayed with the Lord all the way to the foot of the Cross.

     Perhaps you, like I, have friends or family right now that need you to stand with them as they carry their own personal crosses. Often, there is nothing we can do but offer companionship and a willingness to love. The best ministry we can give to loved ones in distress sometimes is a sympathetic ear and a warm embrace. I have nothing to offer anyone of the people that bare their hearts and share their problems with me except my unflinching belief that God never gives people more than they can handle if they are filled with faith and hope. Yet I think there is a tremendous power and comfort in knowing that there is a person who is willing to be there at the foot of their cross.

No comments:

Post a Comment