Monday, September 10, 2012

On Joy

     Earlier today, I was paid the strangest compliment I can ever remember receiving. My friend said, "I could put you in boiling acid and you would still be happy." While I sincerely hope that he never goes through with his generous offer, I was humbled by it because I work hard trying to be joyful regardless of what the circumstances are at any given moment. By no means am I anywhere near perfect- I have bad days too- but to hear a valued friend take notice was a blessing.

     It saddens me when I encounter others who seem to be in a perpetually sour mood. I am in no place to judge their disposition, for I am sure that they must feel as though the entire world is against them and the only way to go on is to wage war against anyone and anything in sight. The Lord did not call us to be judgmental of others, but rather to perfect in our own lives those faults we find in our neighbors. As Plato said be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.

     Nevertheless, I feel as though carrying around a negative attitude is a disservice to others and a disservice to God. It is a disservice to others because it places the burden of our inner desolation on others. We all know how difficult it can be to associate with someone who is angry and bitter. Now think how much more difficult that experience is for God, who has given us life itself and everything we possess in it, to watch us be ungrateful and nasty. Even if we lack all else, we are never in lack of God's love and the gift of life itself. How then can we lack joy? We ought only need to consider how many face greater afflictions and even meet the end of their lives without giving God His just glory and praise. How truly fortunate we are that we still have time to better our lives and the lives of others before we must give an account of ourselves before the Divine Judge!

     I've been reflecting a lot lately on Psalm 116. In it, David asks, what shall I render to the Lord for all His bounty to me? (Ps 116:12) Have you ever thought about how embarrassingly rich our lives are compared to so many in the world? All we have been given, in talent and treasure, is ours on loan; we relinquish possession of all at our death. But God does not wish us to sit on His gifts, or to scorn them because they are not as plentiful as someone else's. He asks us to use them to do His will on Earth, ministering to His sons and daughters and spreading the Good News of salvation through Jesus. And, sometimes, the best ministry one can perform in Jesus' name is simply a smile or a positive attitude that gives other the permission to do likewise, despite the world's drudgery.

No comments:

Post a Comment